Sunday, August 9, 2009

Six Year Anniversary



August 7th, 2003.

10:00 pm. After a night of decorating for our reception, and a brief stop to Maverick to get some soda and a sandwich, I headed home to my nearly empty apartment to get ready for the following day. My wedding day. I took a bath, made sure my honeymoon suitcase was packed, my dress was laid out, hair things were packed away, and I attempted to sleep. I knew I would be content with only a few hours of rest. I wasn't nervous about marrying Shayne. I had no doubt that I was marrying the right person. I was more anxious about how I wanted things to go for my very big and special day.

FLASH BACK - two weeks BEFORE wedding.

"Laura, I'm so sorry to have to do this to you, but with the new changes in plans I'm afraid I will have to refund your deposit, and walk away from this wedding. " Famous last words of my wedding planner from Unforgettable Weddings of Utah. What he really should have said is "Laura, your wedding is not making me enough money, and it's not worth it to me even though we have been planning your wedding since February."

I was devastated. Very tearful, anxious, and upset. The thought of making all the arrangements with only two weeks notice was too much to bear. I was working full time for Payless Shoe Source, and had very little time for the HUGE task ahead. My invitations were out. The temple reservation was made many months in advance I felt I had no choice but to be strong and try to make my wedding everything I imagined it would be.

Luckily for me, Diamond Rentals took care of most of my wishes. Tables, table cloths, chairs, and most anything I needed were there and available for that Friday. My mother in law, sister in law, and myself stayed up late one night making center pieces for the tables. A co-worker's sister could do flowers, and all the rest was just icing on the cake. It wasn't easy, but everything came together, and for much cheaper than Unforgettable Weddings could have done. It made me wonder why I thought we needed seven months to plan for it when it all came together in two weeks.

August 8, 2003.

5:00 am. I woke up and grabbed the diet coke I bought the night before to help me wake up. After a quick shower, and grabbing my things I needed- I whispered to myself "this is it. Getting married today."

7:00 am. I met at my parent's house in Spanish Fork to get my hair done by my close friend and co-worker at Payless. It took us three hours to get my hair as curly as we wanted it.

10:00 am. I was starting to wonder what Shayne was doing, and how he was feeling about this big day. My family was awake and bustling, and I could feel the excitement in the air as we all rushed to do our last minute things. As fixed some decorations, I knew we should be leaving now if we were to make it to the temple on time. I was told by temple workers to arrive two hours before our wedding time at 1:00 p.m.

11:00 - Just leaving the house. I was getting nervous to arrive to the temple so late, but didn't decline the offer the stop at McDonald's on the way over to get the Quarter Pounder which I felt was craving and it being my special day I felt like it was deserved and enjoyed every bite.

12:15 - Finally, we were where we were supposed to be. As I walked in the temple doors, I could see to my left a waiting room full of familiar faces - family anxious for us to be married. I also saw Shayne up ahead. Man, he looked good! I didn't picture it being this way.... somehow I thought it was bad luck to see the bride before the wedding, but this being a temple wedding things were different. I looked at him differently right then realizing - "wow - I'm spending Eternity with this man." It was a happy thought though.

1:00 - "We don't have time to lace up your dress," the temple worker said. I guess having 160 other brides that day, and my being VERY late, was starting to hurt me. "Mom - please, will you help me lace up my dress! I can't go out like this, even if no one will see it." My mom was the biggest help to me that day. She laced as fast as she could, and my dress was finally perfect.

1:30 - This part was a blur. Everyone was rushing me so fast. I only remember walking up some stairs and seeing Grandpa Underwood and Shayne at the top and Grandpa brushed us by quickly about what was going to happen. Just as we were walking in, we realized in the rush, we had forgotten the part where I give Shayne my name through the veil and made another short stop to the veil to do so.

1:45 - SHOW TIME. "Do you want to be married to Shayne? YES. Do you want to be married to Laura. YES. Well, your married!" Just kidding - but sorta how my wedding felt to have happened. It was rushed like the rest of my morning - however still very special and the most sacred part of the day.

After a very very FAST wedding, barely having enough time to cry, Shayne and I kissed and became man and wife - sealed for time and all eternity. We hugged our family that was present, and even so soon after being married went our separate ways to get dressed into our more formal accessories and attire.

2:30 - As I walked down the hall of the temple I remember scanning the rooms looking for my new husband. I guess I imagined it was going to different - that we would be together in the temple a while, and to be apart so soon was weird to me. It felt much like nothing had changed.

The moment I saw him however I knew I was quite wrong. Things had changed. He was sitting on a chair waiting for his bride, and when he saw me he looked up and smiled. I looked at him in his tux and tails (which he looked so handsome in!), and had to keep telling myself in my head, "wow - I'm really married. I'm a married woman. This is my husband. I'm married..."

LATER

Before the wedding, I was so concerned about the reception and if it would go smoothly. However, now that I was married, none of that seemed as important anymore. It was all being taken care of. I did get a little upset when I realized that half way through our pictures I had forgotten to hand out flowers, but it didn't let it spoil my day. Even the rain sprinkles and the sudden need to move some of our tables didn't phase me. I met dozens of people, many that I hadn't met before and some that I hadn't seen in years. I felt the happiness of the moment.

The night went on. Finally our last guest left, and the feeling of "I guess we should go" set in. It was all over, and yet so much was about to begin. I took my suitcase, and after a hug to my Mom and Dad, my husband and I got in our very decorated car and drove away.

Even now, six years later and after all the things that we have experienced both good and bad, I am so happy when I remember that day. Happy with my choice in a husband, and I feel extreme happiness when I think of our future together. We have one beautiful daughter, we hope to have at least two more children, and with Shayne going to school we know we have so much to be grateful for and excited about. I feel blessed when I think of him, and our life together, and although it hasn't always been easy I love him so much and STILL want to spend Eternity with him.

Yesterday, as we walked on our temple grounds holding hands and talking about the memories of that day, I felt that same calm feeling I remember having six years ago. I looked at him again, and had to pinch myself at how lucky I know I am that we have each other, and we are a happy family.

Shayne, you are the love of my life - I love you today, tomorrow, always. Thank you for marrying me. Happy Anniversary!

2 comments:

  1. Laura, that is a really beautiful story. I am so glad you are so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww!! That sounds like a great day. I like this story alot!

    ReplyDelete