Monday, August 17, 2009

Memories of Grandpa Stan Gordon Oct 30, 1931 - Aug 13, 2009


As early as I can remember, Grandpa was always the “go to guy.” Grandpa could fix anything. I always thought this was a neat thing about him. He was the man that I would go to when I needed patches on my bike tires and even taught me how. I remember him helping with repairs on our house, cars, and he was also a huge help when my father was dying from brain cancer. He was a support to my mom, and role model for the kids. He was a gentle but firm man and we loved him so much for everything he did for us during that difficult time.

Some of my happiest childhood memories have my Grandpa in them. I loved camping as a kid with Grandpa and Grandma LaVerne Gordon. We would ride over to Mount Pleasant or Coalville and stay in their trailer with them a few times during the summer. It was the highlight of the season. We loved to swim, explore, and most of all – FISH. Grandpa was quite the fisherman. Even as early as four, Grandpa took me out on the boat with Sarah and I caught my first fish. He was very proud of us when we caught something. After a good catch, the next day I remember Grandpa frying the trout with a little lemon pepper for a wonderful meal.

I remember him liking the taste of burnt peanut butter cookies, and we would laugh when we burned some “just for Grandpa.” I was also proud as a kid telling all my friends he was once Lehi Fire Chief. I have to smile when I think of him driving his red Ford pickup truck. I found that truck to be very fitting of him to drive since he was once a fireman. It was like he was driving a real fire truck!

Grandpa was also the stand in father figure the two years between my Dad’s passing, and my Mom getting remarried. Grandpa was the person to baptize me a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints when I was eight years old because my Father was physically unable to at the time. He also took me to a Daddy Daughter Date when I was nine years old. I remember telling him that one of the activities was putting the dad’s (in my case, Grandpa) behind a sheet with only their foot sticking out and we would have to guess which foot belonged to who. I studied Grandpa’s feet before the contest to make sure I would know the foot, but Grandpa told me that he would cut a little chip out of his big toe and that’s how I would know for sure. I probably didn’t need the chip in the toenail to know his foot – but we got the right guess and I was very happy. I felt proud to have him as my date that day.

As I got older, and my Grandma LaVerne Gordon passed away, I started to see another side of my Grandpa. When he married Grandma Winona Gordon, she helped bring out a very spiritual side of him. I loved hearing his prayers especially. They were very heartfelt, and thoughtful. He specifically prayed for individuals who needed them, and took time to express his gratitude for the Lord and the things in his life he had been blessed with.

I also thought it was so great that he had the wonderful experience to serve four missions for the church. He and Grandma Noni were such great examples for the family as they faithfully served. I’ll never forget the day that he and my Grandma Noni were sealed in the temple with a room full of family. I had the experience to go with Grandma and Grandpa a few times to the temple and I always felt their spirit so strong when we were together. I looked forward to these moments with them, and wished that I could have gone more regularly with them.

Grandpa and I had some great visits when Grandma Noni was battling her own illness. During these difficult times, we had moments where we could be together in support of her. I remember him driving to the hospital daily to see her and be by her side. He picked me up a couple to times to tag along and visit. I enjoyed our lunches and the one on one moments we shared.

Even with all of his challenges during the end of his life on earth, I seldom heard Grandpa complain. I would ask, “How are you doing Grandpa?” To which he would always reply with a smile in his voice, “Pretty good for the shape I’m in.” I know he had his bad days, but he was very brave, and held a strong face even through the pain I know he was feeling. Grandpa and Grandma were very supportive of our family and I was always happy to see them when they would come to Halloween party or a little birthday party we were having.

I feel blessed to have been at the hospital before his passing. Grandma Noni was talking to him so lovingly, and trying to make him more comfortable. I remember rubbing his arms and neck while recalling memories with him. I saw some of his last smiles, and heard his last words. As I talked, I noticed his heart rate, breathing rate, blood pressure, and most things on his monitors improved. During my talking, Grandpa fell into a deep sleep, almost like I was telling a bedtime story. I like to think he fell asleep during a happy memory and his last moments awake were pleasant ones. I remember telling him in his ear “Grandpa, I love you,” and with tears in my eyes leaving the ICU only to find out only minutes later he passed away.

Grandpa – we love you so much. Thank you for everything you did for our family. You have always been a role model and inspiration to me. You will be missed!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah we miss Grandpa too. He was such a great guy and has a fun personality!!

    ReplyDelete