Thursday, December 1, 2011

Meet the new Betty Crocker


In this house, it seems like we have the same meals every month. Our menu usually looks like this:

Taco's or Mexican food in general, like nacho's
Sandwiches or Burgers
CHICKEN! CHICKEN! CHICKEN! Cooked in many styles
Rice with something
Spaghetti
Fajita's
Soups
Breakfast for dinner
Hamburger helper or frozen meals
Roasts - of any kind
BBQ meats
Asian stir fry style dinners
Homemade pizza
Chili

And... that's about it. Honestly. Sometimes I will think of something new like NAVAJO TACO'S, POTATO BAR, or FISH. Most the time though, I can't think of or know how to cook many other dinners, so I just stick with what works. It's finally happened though. After eight years of marriage, and hundreds of nights of the same dinners, I decided maybe I should learn some new meals.

Here is my new plan; I am learning a new dish from a cookbook every week for the rest of this year and into 2012. That's 57 new meals. I started this week with a simple one; Vegetable Beef Soup from my trusty Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. It was AMAZING. Learning from the cookbook did take longer, but now that I know how, this dish will be more simple the next time around. My family loved it so much, they ate it for lunch instead of dinner. It was a big hit!

I have already decided week two I will attempt to make Chicken Fried Steak from scratch and homemade country gravy. Wish me luck. I am debating posting my cooking experiences with each on this site - maybe.

Who knows, maybe there will be another great chef in the family. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Well you should have us over sometime to try your awesome cooking. Although the stuff you make now is really good. It's always excited to spice things up. :D

    ReplyDelete