Friday, December 2, 2011

Pie, anyone?




I have only made one kind of pie in my life.... pumpkin! I love pumpkin pie, but the recipes I tried left my pies looking a little green. Everyone said they tasted fine but they never were enjoyed the way I hoped they would be.

A friend on Facebook posted that she was making pumpkin pie, and I was curious what her recipe was. Maybe it was time to get back on the saddle and try again.

Here is her recipe;

Perfect Pumpkin Pie

1 15 oz can of pumpkin
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves

**Or - I found out later these spices can be simplified with 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice**
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 9 inch (unbaked)pie crust


Preheat oven to 425. Whisk pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, spices, vanilla, and salt together til smooth. Pour into crust bake 15 minutes, then turn temperature down to 350 and bake 35-40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean let cool and enjoy!

**My friend also added that to get a less soggy crust underneath, you can bake the UNFILLED crust for 15 minutes or until LIGHTLY brown. She called this partial baking.**

It was perfect! We enjoyed every bite. I was so impressed, I decided to make a pumpkin pie or two for Christmas Eve dinner. Now I feel like I can move onto other pies since I've mastered pumpkin. Apple pie sounds really good lately.

1 comment:

  1. Wow I never asked how it turned out, but by the looks of things it truly does look perfect!

    ReplyDelete