Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Moment it Hit Me

Danelle was a very anticipated baby. We were only married a year when we found out we were pregnant and so excited to be first time parents. I had a pretty easy pregnancy with Danelle in comparison to Kaitlyn's. I had just had a successful normal delivery, and although I was a mom now, it hadn't really hit me yet.

Danelle was one day old, and approaching her second night. Up until that point, I let the nurses take her when I needed to sleep and they fed her when needed (although I was trying to nurse) and always changed her diapers. I had it pretty easy. It was getting dark now, and Shayne was asleep when I smelled something bad coming from the baby. I know the smell of poop, so I beeped my nurse from the button on my bed.

The nurse rang in, "can I help you?"

"Yes, I think she needs a diaper change," I said very matter of fact.

My nurse spoke back, "there are diapers and everything you need in her bassinet."

I was taken back a minute. I expected this nurse to come running in and change her diaper! Then I felt really sheepish to have even asked. I remembered thinking to myself, 'of course I should change her. After all, I am her mom!' It was a big moment for me to change that silly diaper because it was then I realized that I REALLY was a mother now. This is MY baby and it's MY job to care for her.

Looking back, I have to smile at how clumsily I changed Danelle's first diaper. Changing diapers was somewhat of a game after that, at least the first few days until the newness wore off. By the time Kaitlyn came around, I was a professional diaper changer and didn't ask much of the hospital nurses at all.

Sometimes I wish I could relive these memories. I am so happy to be a mom. I wish they could stay small and in my arms forever. I love you Danelle and Kaitlyn!

1 comment: