Saturday, June 2, 2012

Baby's Shopping List: Part II

The point of this blog is to help new mothers in making their shopping list for baby.  I am outlining the LESS OBVIOUS things I believe would be helpful to the new mom.  This is why you won't find car seat, crib, burp cloths, or diapers on this blog.  If you don't know that you will need those things, then this blog will not help you much.

************************************************


Swaddle Me Wraps (or something like it):  I love these blankets.  Unlike regular blankets, these blankets are less likely to end up smothering your baby because they wrap tightly around the baby.  Babies, even young ones, like to kick their sweet feet and often kick off their blankets leaving them cold or WORSE going up near their face.  These blankets are great for taking away some of the worry of baby sleeping.  They come in cooler or warmer fabrics and different sizes as your baby grows.  I found them to be soothing for the babies also to be wrapped tightly, just like they were in momma's womb.

I found myself buying the Summer brand Swaddle Me wraps most often. 

Baby monitor with video: I didn't realize how WONDERFUL these things are until I had my second baby.  I bought a Summer brand monitor that had one camera (with the option of two), night vision, and an electric thermometer to tell me how hot or cool it was where the baby was sleeping.  I am still using it with my two year old!

Babies cry often during the night at times, and sometimes its exhausting to wake up and check on the baby.  Sometimes checking on the baby might just wake the baby up more and then you have no choice but to take them out of bed.  Other times, as a mom, you will sit there and wait it out a few minutes and see if they will put themselves back to sleep.  BUT WHAT  IF the baby lost their binki, or the blanket is wrapped over their head, or any number of things... it's nice to turn on your video baby monitor and check it out.   Night vision helped a lot for this. 

They are also great for nap times when you are busy around the house.  I used to sit on the back porch with my older daughter as she played outside and kept an eye on Kaitlyn sleeping alone in our room upstairs.  I wouldn't have felt as confident just listening to her sleep.

When they are older and sleeping through the night, it's also reassuring to have an eye on them.  For me and my two year old, it puts my mind to ease to know that she is STILL IN her bed because she could easily climb out.  It also helps me to know when she is talking in her sleep if she is really asleep or awake.  I LOVE my video baby monitor!!! 

TIP: GET A GOOD ONE.  Some baby video monitors will pick up static sounds or other baby monitor noises.  It is very annoying from the reviews I have read.  Do your research and you will do great! 

AngelCare Monitor:  This is where I worry I may seem a little paranoid, but I have a sleep apnea monitor for my babies.  When I had my first daughter, I lost sleep at night wondering and worrying that my baby was breathing.  Unfortunately, SIDS happens too often for my comfort - especially knowing people personally who have lost babies.  I found myself lightly sleeping and checking on my baby often, sometimes feeling her chest to make sure it was moving up and down.  This is why when my second baby was born I found peace and comfort with my AngelCare monitor.

The AngelCare monitor is wonderful.  Mine made a "ticky" sound every time my baby took a breath.  I know it sounds crazy but I found these ticky sounds to be comforting and slept better KNOWING that my baby was doing well.  If your baby happens to stop breathing, an alarm will go off after 20 seconds.  If the baby still doesn't breathe after 30 seconds, a bigger alarm goes off.  I used this religiously until my baby was at least six months old.  During that time I DID have the alarm go off a few times.  Some might call them false alarms, but who is to say that it didn't help her wake up a little when the alarms went off and startle her into breathing?  The sleep and peace I had was almost too good for a new mom.  I HIGHLY recommend this to any new mother.

Womb Sounds Bear or Heartbeat on CD:  I have VERY FUSSY colicky babies the first five months of their lives.  Some people call it the PURPLE cry and it goes on hours into the night sometimes and NOTHING seems to soothe them... except this.  I LOVE the idea of womb sounds.  When they are wrapped up tightly and the womb sounds are playing, it helps take them "home" I think.  They seem to quiet down and listen to the soft gentle sounds they are most familiar with.  This was a real lifesaver at times.

A Good Diaper Bag: I know this is considered an "obvious" thing but make sure that you have a good diaper bag, and I suggest having it "packed" before the baby arrives.  Pack it with diapers, wipes, burp cloths, EXTRA CLOTHES (this is a must), baggies for the dirty clothes, pacifiers, or anything else you can think of for baby's first days.  I recall being a new mom and packing my first diaper bag AFTER my newborn baby had come home.  I didn't take into account how much having a baby would slow me down in an of itself so when I had to stop and pack her diaper bag, it made us an hour late to get her PKU levels checked at the hospital the next day.  Having it ready with my second baby made life so much easier!

A Set of Cloth Diapers and know how to use them:  I am not suggesting you use cloth diapers, but have them on hand.   You might be well stocked for your baby now, but there may be a day when your baby is running low and you don't realize you are on your last diaper until the worst possible time.  Cloth diapers to the rescue!  Even if you only have one pack of pins, cloth diapers, and vinyl diaper covers, it will be better than doing without if you need to buy some more and can't at the moment.  They are more unpleasant to use, but better than keeping your baby in a yucky diaper for too long.

************************************************
Those are just a few I can think of at this time.  Congratulations if you are a new mom or mom to be!  This is an exciting time of your life and with the proper preparation you can smoothly make the transition and enjoy your baby to the fullest.  Feel free to ask me any questions you might be having and I will be happy to answer them!


1 comment:

  1. This list has definitely been great and really really helpful. Thank you Laura

    ReplyDelete