Sunday, June 10, 2012

Daisy Munn May 13, 2006 - June 5, 2012


I remember first hearing about Daisy.  Mooney's Boxer Rescue called me and let me know they just got a female young Boxer in.  She was nine months old.  They told me she was a "mini" and wouldn't be as big as other full grown Boxer's.  That night, upon first glance of her picture - we knew Daisy would be a special part of our family.  We couldn't wait to pick her up and meet her for the first time.

It took Shayne and I hours to get to Richfeild, Utah.  We were unfamiliar with how to get there and got lost along the way but finally met our destination around 10:00 p.m. on February 23, 2007.  Daisy was so calm meeting us that we knew it really was meant to be.  She wasn't afraid of us and greeted us like we had already met.   I joked later that it was actually a little deceiving because Daisy was always very anxious meeting new friends and often greeted them with a nervous LOUD bark.

I learned within the first week of her being with us that she had a talent.  This dog could "roo."  Whenever I sang, Daisy would sing out "ROOoooooooooo!"  - as long as she could hold the note.  This is how she got her nickname, Daisy Roo Roo Munn.

Danelle and Daisy always had a close relationship.  They were playmates and best friends.  Daisy in a lot of ways was Danelle's first sibling.  Daisy came along just before Danelle's second birthday, and Kaitlyn didn't come until three years later.  Daisy loved Ellie and was very protective of her and every member of our family. Over time, Danelle played with Daisy in a way that kept Daisy young and vibrant.  They were wonderful for each other and Danelle was very proud of her.

One thing I loved and appreciated about Daisy was her ability to match her playfulness to the age of our children.  She played hard with Shayne, but was more gentle with our children and myself. She loved to play rope and with her squeaky toys as often as we were willing and often times by herself as well.

Daisy loved the outdoors and nice hot sunny places in the home.  I remember her laying in her "sunny spot" certain hours of the day, even if it was in the middle of the way.  Whenever Daisy went outside on her leash or taking a walk, it seemed she didn't want it to end.

Daisy also loved going on rides with Shayne and I and being a part of the family outings.  Often times she would get excited when I put on my shoes and head towards the door.  So often, she didn't know how sad I was to have to leave her behind.  Every time I left the house, I said goodbye to her and a reminder to watch the house and we loved her. 

I find myself missing her most at night.  Daisy always made me feel peace with Shayne's work schedule or when he couldn't be at home.  I always knew and trusted that if anything happened, Daisy would protect us.  She helped me sleep at night with peace of mind and was pretty good company too.  We used to relax on the couch together watching shows and snuggling often.  Then before bed and after letting her go potty, I tucked her in on the couch, gave her a pat, told her goodnight, and  said that we loved her.   I miss our morning hugs as well.  Every morning I knelt beside her on the couch and gave her a nice long hug and sometimes kiss on the head.

Daisy loved her Dad too.  Daisy sought his good favor and praise more than anyone in the family.  Daisy loved to snuggle him.  Shayne is the type to hold very still and stay in one place for a while, so if ever given the choice, she was right there next to her Dad.  They also took regular naps together on our bed upstairs.  Daisy was happy to greet him when he came home from work every morning after a long night.

Kaitlyn never knew life without Daisy and calls all dogs "Daisy's" now.  Although Kaitlyn was never at much of an 'enjoyable' age for Daisy, Daisy loved and watched over Kaitlyn.  She stayed near Kaitlyn hoping for a  bit of food to drop out of her mouth or help me clean up after her many incidents with throwing up food.  As gross as it sounds, I really appreciated this about Daisy and told her often, "this is why we hired you!"

A sad thing happened last weekend though. We took her in to be helped by a vet, but regardless of our united efforts to save her - we lost Daisy Tuesday June 5, 2012.  It was sudden and unexpected and every day we are asking ourselves why she left us so early and if we could have done more to help her.  We can't believe that she is gone and the news came devastatingly.

The other night, a couple young boys knocked on our door running away laughing.  Daisy would have normally barked at them with warning but our house echoed silently and I couldn't help but lose myself in tears and sadness of her being gone. Whenever I look outside at our patchy grass coming in and recovering from her urine yellowing it over the winter, I think at moments she will be out there at the end of her leash smiling back at me through the window.  We still put her "stinky blankie" on the couch where she used to lay from habit and memory.  Danelle even slept with her rope toy the first couple of nights after her death. Our home just has a different feeling without her in it.

Despite some other opinions, Daisy was a great dog.  She was perfect for our family and we loved her and treated her as such.  Life is not the same without her protection, comfort, smiles, and unconditional love for everyone.  Daisy gave our life an energy only she could bring.  She is very missed.


So to Daisy: "You're a good girl - praises, praises!!!  Be a good girl and we'll see you soon.  We love you!"  RIP our dear dog, and my sweet canine daughter.  Thank you for your years of devotion and love. I hope you are watching down from doggie heaven and keeping our family safe as you always did.  We will never forget you.

No comments:

Post a Comment