Monday, November 3, 2014

Dance Fever


Ballet used to be my passion.  More than that, it was probably more like an obsession.  All I could think about was dance.  It was in my very core, and I remember actually and literally thinking the phrase, "Without ballet, what's the pointe?" ;) At one point, I was actually quite good.  I was dancing six days a week at two different studio's (BYU with the Youth Artist program and Academy of Ballet), spending every free minute I had doing what I loved best.  It was a compilation of things that led up to my eventual my quitting around 16 years old and I began to pursue my new life in all things 'theater.'

It seemed like a no-brainer that when I became a mother, I would hope that one of my kids would pursue dancing... not to get back what I lost, but to have something in their lives to be passionate about, to love, motivate, and challenge them to do things that require practice, determination, and commitment.  I tried a couple of failed attempts to get Danelle into dance when she was little, but finally she showed interest again and I jumped at the opportunity to sign her up.

Danelle is taking Ballet/Jazz, and Kaitlyn is taking a Ballet/Tap class.  Danelle loved her dance class so much, I went ahead and enrolled her in tumbling as well.  From the very first day, I wanted to buy 'Proud Dance Mom' bumper stickers and sweaters, but I have resisted so far.  Of course I hope Danelle will try out for 'the team' next year, but the main objective of course is to have fun and learn something new.  I know when it comes time for the girls to be in the Christmas show, I will be front and center probably tearing up with pride and joy.  I am so happy that we could do this for them. I can't wait to see what their future's hold.




2 comments: