Monday, March 23, 2009

Ellie's Wish - Our Wish


Just some thoughts....

For the past year, I was babysitting a little baby boy named Garrett. I started to babysit him about nine and half hours a day, four days a week, Monday through Thursday. The decision was made after much thought, a prayer, and good feeling told me to call my friend up and take on the job. I knew that this experience for Ellie to be with another child, even though a baby, would prepare her to be a sister herself one day. It would help her realize that although I love her very very much, that I have to spread myself out and she would be a less selfish only child for the time being.

My plan worked great. Ellie enjoyed a wonderful ten months with Garrett. We have both watched him grow and hit milestones along the way. Garrett also helped me distract myself from our infertility problems and be "normal." However, as predicted would happen one day, Garrett's mother is now a stay at home mom (which of course I was thrilled for) and we had a great last week together. After a long goodbye, I told Garrett I would see him soon, and went back to being a mom during the day without the pressure of babysitting.

Getting back into the routine was easy. We've had loads of fun going back to it being just me and Ellie during the day again. We've went on walks, shopped, eaten out, played with A LOT of friends, learned, and a bunch more stuff. However, over breakfast last week, Ellie told us "hey - I have an idea!!!"

"Oh ya, Ellie, what is your idea?" I said.

"Mommy, you should have a baby," Ellie said.

"OH - really?" Shayne and I just looked at each other, shocked that she was actually old enough now to ask for a baby brother or sister.

"Yes! A baby sister!" Ellie was beaming and rambling on now.

We explained to her that when Heavenly Father wants us to have a baby sister or brother that it will happen and we all have to pray and have faith. We resisted to get into the emotional side of how hard we've been trying to get her a sibling. Everyday since then, she's asked me if I have a baby in my tummy yet. I just tell her, "these things take time," and "maybe soon."

Until this point, we had considered waiting two years for Shayne to finish school before being more aggressive with our treatments. We hoped that upon his graduation, we would have enough money coming in to buy a home, settle down, Ellie would be just starting 1st Grade, and then attacking this problem head on now that we had the financial means. However, after realizing that this problem isn't just affecting Shayne and I anymore and maybe we should take baby steps again (no pun intended) towards getting this issue worked on a bit earlier than planned.

Obviously with Shayne being in school and all of our other financial obligations we'd have to take it slow but after our trip to Hawaii in April, and our life settles back to normal, we hope to start seeing our doctor again and seeing what else needs to be done to have a baby. Don't expect me to call right away and tell you "we're pregnant," but know that we have plans and are excited to make this more of a priority. Wish us luck!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow how mature of Ellie. That's probably a good sign! I'll keep my fingers crossed. Left me know if you need me to sit Danelle (before) like if you need to go to a Doctor's appt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do! That won't happen until May at the earliest, but we're excited to get this going.... Thanks Kelly! Our doctor appointments will be at the Circle of Life Women's Clinic in Ogden (they are cheapest - ha ha) so we could use the sitter for sure!

    ReplyDelete