Saturday, September 24, 2011

Danelle Lately



Another school year has begun and already the first month is over. Shayne and I can't believe Danelle is actually a first grader now. Danelle is such a big and brave girl now that she takes the bus every day to and from school. I have to admit this new arrangement did cause some first day jitters for me wondering if she would get on and off the right bus, but my mind has settled and she is a professional bus rider now. I am so proud of her.

After some thought, Danelle let us know that she is "bored with dance" (her own words) and wanted to take something new this year. After talking to a lot of our family, the majority vote was for Danelle to try SOCCER. Danelle is pretty good at soccer and controls the ball easily. She is more of a defensive player than a runner taking the ball down the field, but she loves soccer, being on a team, and coach. It's too bad the games only lasted a month. We plan to sign her up again in the Spring, and hopefully find something to keep her busy and occupied until then. Here are our top ideas; art class, basketball, or trying out for a play (and if you know me you know what I hope she picks!).

Another first for our family; Danelle lost her first teeth! September 16th, Shayne and I were out on a date when I got the most excited phone call from my mom who was watching the girls. Danelle was so excited to tell me that she had lost her FIRST TOOTH! I was so happy for her. I know she had been worried about it hurting, but it came out while eating a peach and didn't hurt at all. Three days later, she lost her second tooth. The tooth fairy found our house both nights, and even found the tooth Danelle dropped on the floor just when we were about to put it under her pillow. It was a very happy time. She can't wait to lose more teeth.

Danelle is such a wonderful help to me and I love her so much. The other day, I was a little mad at her because she let me sleep in on a school day. This caused a lot of stress on me to hustle getting her ready for school and out the door, and I asked her "WHY didn't you wake me up!?" She said, "I was being nice and letting you sleep in..." I felt such guilt realizing how my behavior must have made her feel. Now we have a deal; if she lets me sleep in, she needs to get herself dressed, make her bed, and put her shoes on for me - - - and to my surprise she actually does it. Danelle and I butt heads a lot but we adore her and are so proud of everything she is learning, doing, and the beautiful person she is becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment