Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Hocus Pocus


If you read my previous blog, you understand that Halloween came at a very difficult, confusing, and emotional time this year. I wasn't expecting much from this Halloween. We had made plans with Evan and Monyka to have a dinner and having help trick or treating with the girls, but I have to admit I wondered that morning if they would happen. I had a very hard day the Monday of Halloween and my motivation and mood were affected. I kept saying to myself, "maybe this is too much too soon..." However, I can honestly say that I am glad we carried through with our plans though because we ended up having a wonderful and memorable Halloween night.

Evan and Monyka showed up and brought their cheerful moods with them. Evan took over in the kitchen and encouraged Monyka and I to take the kids trick or treating while he did the cooking. I hadn't thought about taking the kids out, but I thought it would be good for my condition at the time to get moving and I did want to see the girls getting candy. It was a warmer day, but we got cold soon and decided to go home for a quick break for dinner and warmer clothes.

Perfect timing! Evan had the table all set for us :). He made chili, little Halloween hot pocket style rolls with ham and cheese, and rolls. He even went all out and made homemade root beer. Everything was perfect. The food really hit the spot.

Shayne kept busy too; he decorated our yard earlier that day and had the computer set up to a speaker system in the garage with scary sounds. Only one problem: the music stopped every 10 minutes. The entire night Shayne went out every 10 minutes to start the music again and let out some fog from the garage. Everyone said we were one of the coolest houses in the neighborhood (next to the one that made the spook alley!).

This time when we went trick or treating, we decided to just take Danelle. Kaitlyn enjoyed trick or treating, but it was getting cold and we planned to be out a while. Monyka filled up Kaitlyn's bucket as we went. Danelle loved the attention she was getting for her cat costume. After a short time, it was dark and Danelle decided she had enough candy. I think we missed about eight houses.

When we got back, I had to laugh that Evan was out on the porch staying very still... he scared Danelle a little and said that he had been doing it all night. He was dressed as Joker and when the kids came up to take a candy from the cauldron he was holding he would make a loud noise at them. I found this so amusing that Danelle and I hid in some bushes to watch and video tape. I still laugh watching the footage.

Poor Shayne had to go to work :(. It was hard to see him go on a holiday, especially one he loves so much. Thankfully though, Evan and Monyka could stay a little longer. Once the girls were in bed, and Mom left from her Halloween visit, we decided to watch the classic CASPER. I think I was the only one fully awake when the movie was over, but it meant a lot to me that they stayed.

We had such a great night, we have made plans for next year. We love the fact that this community does "real" trick or treating. We loved seeing the neighborhood go crazy with decorations and a couple of them with spook alleys. You can already see the light bulbs above Shayne's head for next year; out do the neighbors with the main spook alley. I enjoy seeing him get so excited! It even inspired him to do a light display on the house for Christmas with borrowed lights his parents own.

Even though the day started out rough, the second half was amazing. I am so happy to have family to come cheer me up when and HOW I need it. This Halloween season I was consumed with so much stress and worry - I didn't feel the same "Halloween spirit." I am glad I found it again, before it was too late. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! Halloween this year was one for the books. SUCH a blast. It was fun trick-or-treating for Kaitlyn too! HAHA She loved when she got her bucket and saw all those SUCKERS! "MMMM THANKS KYKA AND MOM"

    ReplyDelete