Friday, November 25, 2011

One for the Memory Books




All year, I thought I would put up my Christmas tree the day before Thanksgiving. I liked the idea of Black Friday shopping and coming home, wrapping, and having Christmas gifts under the tree. Life happened though, and I didn't get to do either this of those things year... and it's probably for the best. Shayne and I were impromptu house hosts for our Thanksgiving dinner this year. Here's the story.

All week of Thanksgiving, I was in a cleaning mood. Tuesday I cleaned the upper half of the house and Wednesday I cleaned the main floor. I even cleaned unusually well; like cleaning my ceiling fan, vacuuming under the couch, and wiping down cupboards. I think my subconscious was preparing for Thanksgiving possibly being at my house. I remember even joking with Shayne, "haha, it's like we are having Thanksgiving here!"

Thanksgiving Day: I arranged with Sarah Cameron, our host, to help her decorate the church. We planned to have our Thanksgiving at a church this year because we were expecting three families to be there (or about 40 people). That afternoon however, Sarah said that she heard that another family was in the church at the time. I remember feeling like I should tell her to have it at our house (since we were basically ready anyway) but not wanting to complicate things more, I suggested they move it to a Relief Society Room instead.

4:30 - Dinner time. Everyone was at the church waiting and hungry. Only one problem; the church was locked. Not knowing who to get a hold of, we started to toss around new ideas. One possibility was to have it at Grandpa Underwood's home. Grandpa gets anxious around large groups in his home though, especially at night, so maybe this wasn't the best idea. I suggested we move the party to my place - it's all ready and it would be easier with Kaitlyn.

Shayne and I hurried home to beat the masses, put away the dog, and get ready really fast. I threw back up the Thanksgiving decorations I took down to decorate the church with, made room for food, and set up tables. Shayne moved some couches around, and in no time at all we were ready for the feasting.

It was almost as if it was meant to be at our place, and the church incident never happened. We were all together having a wonderful time. Although the food was a little cold, it was tasty and hit the spot. I felt warm inside knowing that we could help host this Thanksgiving. Sarah did an excellent job organizing the food assignments and preparing everything for the big event.

Later that night, the girls and I drove over to my Mom's house to go to the Festival of Lights with them, Becca, and the boys. Already feeling extra accommodating, I emptied out my car and we all loaded in my car for a couple of trips around the Festival of Lights. Six kids and four adults piled in my car. The kids really loved seeing the lights. I can't wait to go again when it snows.

Once Kaitlyn was in bed, Shayne and I watched ELF while I decorated the house in Christmas - leaving only the tree to be done as a family. It was a crazy, wild, spontaneous, memorable, and perfect day.

In my family, it's tradition to say what your thankful for on Thanksgiving. I am thankful for many things this year. I am thankful for this home and that I have the means to accommodate parties and large groups, like this, easier. I am thankful for having everything that we need; food, clothes, warmth, water, and furniture. I am thankful for my husband's work, and for my upcoming daycare job that will help us make ends meet. I wish I could say I am more thankful for school... I am thankful for the outcome school will bring and the opportunity to further my education. I am even more thankful Shayne is almost done and I am ending my third year.

I am thankful for our family and friends who have been there for us even in the toughest of times. I am surrounded by some pretty great family - and have many people I consider best friends who would go through hell and back with me if I asked. I am thankful for my girls and for their sweet spirits. They make me laugh and warm my heart every day. Danelle is such a help to me with baby Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn helps me look at life in exciting ways. I would do anything for them.

I am thankful for my husband and for the love and support that he gives me - he is an amazing father and companion for me. Shayne comforts me and understands me completely. I can and do tell him everything; we have no secrets. I love the security I feel with him. He really is my best friend - I am lucky to have him forever.

Last but not least, I am thankful for the Gospel, my Heavenly Father, and our Savior Jesus Christ. I am thankful for prayer, scripture, inspiration, and church. I know I have been blessed in my life. There is so much for me to be thankful for - and much more I could mention but I think you get the idea. I am filled with so much love. Life is great.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment