Wednesday, December 5, 2012

V-bac :-s

All along, I was pretty certain that I wanted to attempt a v-bac (vaginal birth after c-section).   I felt pretty sure about things but something changed the first time I saw our baby on the ultrasound monitor.  For the first time in this pregnancy, this wasn't just an idea or happy thought.  It was REAL.  This baby had a face, nose, arrms, legs, a functioning heart and brain... it was a person, my child.  It was then that I began to worry about the thought of having a v-bac.  If something went wrong, I was certain that I would be ok but I didn't feel that I could responsibly risk my baby's life for my selfish desire to not be cut open again and suffer a long recovery.  Only knowing one person at the time with a successful v-bac, I decided to ask my doctor about it at my 24 week appointment.

Here's something to consider when thinking about v-bac: the odds of a major tear are 1/10,000.  The odds of a minor tear are 1/200, however even with a minor tear you can still go forward with a v-bac safely.  Something about my Dr. Crouch; he has had ZERO fatalities in mother AND baby in all his years of performing them.  In that time, he has only seen two major tears, both in women who were attempting a v-bac after repeat c-sections - but they survived.  He assured me that he will be in the hospital at all times.  There are three signs to a rupture; bleeding, baby's heart rate  and he told me that even with an epidural, I would feel it.  However, he also let  me know that I am in the LOWEST risk bracket for this to happen since I have had a vaginal delivery before, only one c-section, and almost three years of gap between these babies. 

Everything considered, I feel much more at ease about the idea than I had. I have said this many times; I trust my doctor with my life and now our baby's as well.  Overall, I have good feelings about the v-bac, if everything works out and I can still have one by then.  I worry more about going into labor on my own since I can't be induced and haven't had much luck with going into labor on my own in previous pregnancies.  I am hoping for the best and prepared for the worst (meaning c-section). I have my first fluid check on December 31st, New Years Eve.  Fingers crossed that this pregnancy stays as wonderful as it is now. 

*As a general disclaimer; v-bac is not for everyone and I completely understand and respect a mother's decision to have a repeat c-section.  To have a successful v-bac you need to trust your doctor fully, find out the risks, pray, and go with your gut feelings.  If you want many children, v-bac might make sense because repeat c-sections can be risky as well, sometimes more risky than the original v-bac.  If you only want a couple more children, you need to do what makes sense for you.*     

No comments:

Post a Comment