Monday, December 3, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

November got off to a rugged start.  After a rough month, I was really looking forward to a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with the family.  If there is one thing I have heard as a Mom though, it's to expect the unexpected and poor Kaitlyn got sick the day before Thanksgiving.  Not wanting to make anyone else sick (especially Elodie who was only six weeks old) we came up with a weird way that Shayne and I could have a holiday and one of us could stay with Kaitlyn at all times. 

First up - The Burrows/LaTurner dinner.  Ellie and I took our hungry bellies over to my Mom's house around 1:30 for our dinner.  Everything tasted amazing but my favorite part was the stuffing this year.  I need to get Mom's recipe because I had probably three helpings!  I also loaded up on the mashed potatoes and gravy, another favorite.  The time went by too fast though because in a moment it was 4:00, we had just had pies, and Ellie and I had to go so Shayne could catch his family dinner.  

4:15 - Shayne and Ellie headed out for the Munn family dinner at Sarah's house.  I don't know much about how this dinner went, but Shayne said he had a great time.  I heard some pretty great comments about the turkey as well; Jason has been mastering his "smoking" skills and they smoked the turkey.  I tried some of the leftovers and I have to admit, even cold it was one of the most flavorful turkeys I had probably ever tasted.  The smokey taste gave the turkey something extra. It made for an amazing turkey sandwich for me. 

While everyone was gone, I did get a little depressed though.  It seemed sad to me to look across the table and see half of our family missing, chairs empty that were once full.  It was the first Thanksgiving Shayne and I had spent apart... EVER. I hadn't even gotten around to taking pictures before it was time to leave.  Although we miss our family and hate being apart during the holidays, they were there in our hearts and we look forward to the day that we can all be together for the holidays again. 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment