Monday, November 19, 2012

Reflections of an Aspiring Teacher


               William Ward said, “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.”  This statement sums up a lot of the reason I want to be a teacher. I want to inspire students to a higher way of thinking.  I want to inspire them to challenge themselves to do hard things.  I want to inspire self- confidence and courage to ask for help. 
                When growing up, it never occurred to me that I would one day aspire to be a teacher; a ballet dancer, singer, or actress on Broadway - maybe - but never a teacher.  Honestly, when I was in school I couldn’t wait to get out and never go back.  I didn’t have miserable experiences in school, but other my interests and hobbies were always first on my mind.
                My senior year of high school, I was accepted to the College of Eastern Utah with a full-ride scholarship in Theater.  The only expense I had were books and my living accommodations, so naturally I took the opportunity and spent my first two year of college taking generals and acting classes.  In the evenings I was always wrapped up in a play – stopping only to work weekends.  Upon graduation however, I took a hard look at my life and realized although I loved theater very much, I didn’t see myself going much further than community theater.
                It wasn’t until my daughter started preschool that I questioned if I was capable of doing what this teacher was.  I considered opening my own preschool over the next two years.  When my daughter matured to Kindergarten and we entered a public school setting, the spark was lit and I knew that I was meant go further and be an Elementary Educator.   It was at this time that I enrolled at University of Phoenix.
                What I didn’t realize is how well my years in theater had prepared me for teaching.  Teaching is much like being on stage every day.  Theater gave me the self confidence to conduct myself in front of a group.  It helped me learn to be expressive and aspire for understanding through my language.  It taught me valuable listening skills, ways to motivate, and most importantly HUMOR.  I also learned that to perform well, you need to prepare well.  Not to mention, how to captivate an audience. Everything combined, I feel confident in my choice to become an educator.
                I feel that one of the best ways for me to stay current in education is to stay on top of the new and developing technologies available to enhance my teaching.  As I use and become familiar with new technology, I can incorporate them within my teaching.  Another way to stay current is to get to know other teachers; discover techniques that are working for them, exchange ideas, and continually find new ways to improve my teaching.  This can also be done with seminars, education groups, or assemblies just for teachers.   Teachers are life-long learners. 
The best way for me to maintain my passion for teaching is to have a genuine interest in the progression of each student.  As I become involved with the students and get to know them on a personal level, I can successfully help each student rise to their potential.  Another idea is to become engaged with teachers who share my passion for teaching.  Together we can motivate, educate, share success stories, and build each other up when we are feeling discouraged.
                I hope to walk in the classroom every day with a smile, sense of humor, and open mind that anything can happen.  I want to provide a fun and safe learning environment that encourages higher levels of learning and challenges students to face difficulties and find opportunities for deeper understanding. I will encourage my students to be independent thinkers who feel safe asking questions and having discussions.  I will strive for each student to feel valued and important to the class, recognizing their strengths and weaknesses are not the same and this is wonderful!  I will be healthy role model for my students and conduct myself with high moral values. I will constantly be looking for ways to improve my teaching and become a life-long learner.  Most of all, I want each student to know that I am invested in their success and believe in them on a personal level.  This is my philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment