Saturday, November 10, 2012

Introducing Elodie :)


I have only had the experience of being present for two births besides my own; these experiences are just as special and memorable to me as the births of my own children.

*According to my memory. I may have some of the details wrong...*

It was a late October 4th when I got the call from Danny that his wife, Uurtsaikh, was in the hospital in labor.   I half expected it to be that day due to some conversations I had been following up on with Uurtsaikh through the day. I was so thrilled, I called babysitters and my gracious father in law offered to come over and spend the night with the girls (since Shayne was working overnight) so I could meet up with them at the hospital.  I left my home around 9:30 p.m. for the hour and a half drive to Ogden where the baby was to be born.  

I hadn't been gone long when Danny called me to let me know that Uurtsaikh was now 9cm's.  I was actually kind of bummed because I was sure that I wouldn't make it on time.  I tried to stay hopeful that with pushing time, maybe I would make it just in time for the big finale. When I showed up to the hospital around 11:30 p.m. I was thrilled to find out I had made it on time!!  I guessed any minute Elodie would make her appearance.  

Around 12:00 a.m. the nurses "checked" Uurtsaikh.   No change.  I have to admit, I was surprised   They said they would check back in an hour.  I grabbed a soda, and we waited and talked over the next hour.  1:00 a.m, no change.  The nurses changed her position to let gravity help.  2:00 no change.  I have to admit, it was right about now that I started to worry for my dear sister in law.  I hoped the baby wasn't stuck, after all the baby was past due and who knew how big Elodie could be.  The nurses guessed the baby was face up also this also makes things hard.  Not to mention they gave her something to slow down labor and had to get pitocin to start things up again.

I think it was around 3 or 4:00 a.m. that the doctor helped manually dilate Uurtsaikh the rest of the way.  She was a 9 1/2 + anyway, so maybe they could help her out, and they did.  They were eager to push, so we gave it a try for a little less than an hour, then took a much needed break.  Around 7:00, Uurtsaikh was back up and trying to push again.  After a while, the doctor kindly let Uurtsaikh and Danny know that we needed to decide what to do.  Keep pushing, or try the vacuum - realizing that if they chose the vacuum they would only give it three tries before taking her back for c-section. Uurtsaikh mustered up all her strength and in only  a couple pushes - ELODIE was born.

It was a very tearful, beautiful, and joyful moment I will never forget.  Elodie is so pretty with her dark long hair and alert eyes.  She was born October 5, 2012, at 8:25 a.m., weighing 8 pounds 1 ounce. I followed her to the nursery to be bathed and examined.  Watching Danny at this moment was fun because you could tell he was smitten and as proud as could be for his new baby girl.  Uurtsaikh was the first to hold Elodie once out of the nursery; I could tell by the happy tears in her eyes that she was going to be an amazing mother and Danny an amazing father.  Together they will be wonderful parents. 

It took a long time for any of us to really hold Elodie, but when I got to hold her those first brief moments, it was one of the best feelings in the world.  I am so happy my father in law could babysit so I could be there for the birth.  Happy Birthday little Elodie. We are so happy you are here :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment