Saturday, March 6, 2010

March. "In like a Lion.... out like a Lamb?"







We just had a crazy first week of March.

Our week actually started out great. Fifty degree weather. We loved it so much. Ellie and I spent a few dollars at the dollar store getting some "supplies;" bubbles and sidewalk chalk. We loved playing out in the warm air. I brought out my old lawn chair and soaked up some sun. It was great to get out in jacket weather, and sometimes warmer than jacket weather.

Ellie and I had our first picnic of the year too. We brought a lunch to the park on Center Street and 500 West in Provo. It seemed we weren't the only ones with that idea. We had a lot of kids to play with. I enjoyed our time together. Just as we were leaving, the gray clouds set in... and you guessed it - we went from jacket weather that morning to coat weather that night. It was snowing.

The next morning our fun week turned into a crazy one. Ellie jumped on our bed, and said, "Mommy, my eyes are really itchy." I opened my eyes to look at her. To my surprise, she was covered in eye goop and she definitely had an eye infection that would need treatment. I made her an appointment, and that afternoon we found out that not only did she have the eye infection, she also had an ear infection! She's tough. She never said a word about it. Of course once she was diagnosed, she started "playing the part." Ellie is on antibiotics for 10 days for the eye and ear.

Being the "nice Mommy" I am, I decided to run off and rent Ellie a movie or two during her down time this weekend. After getting her prescription, some Children's Tylenol, and a few other groceries, I pulled up the Redbox machine to look through the movies. I was standing by the doors with my cart off to the side to let people by. Just then, I felt like someone had punched me right in the stomach! WHAM!!! I looked up and saw a bagger/cart collecter Smith's worker pushing in a load of carts.

"Are you ok?" he said. I didn't know what to say, "Are you ok?" he said again? I held my belly, and said, "I think so - I don't know" and left the store feeling kinda dumb that I was just hit by the guy pushing the carts. As soon and I got in the car, I started to feel pain on the right side of my pregnant belly where he had hit me. I took home everything for Ellie, but I went straight back to make a complaint with Smiths.

Not really knowing what to do, and worried about my tender placenta issues, I knew that I would feel much better if I saw a doctor. I went to the Insta-care Center in Provo where they told me they can't help me - I needed to go to the hospital. Once in, the emergency gave me a ride up to the labor and delivery floor which surprised me. They treated it as such too; within no time, I was in a gown, strapped in to machines, being "checked," and having my blood drawn. I had an ultrasound too.

I was there for three hours. After some time, they told me that the baby does not seem to be under any stress from the trauma to the stomach. As far as they can tell, there was no abruption of the placenta (which was a relief - the reason I was so worried). I was told to watch for bleeding this weekend, and to follow up with my doctor. Luckily we were both alright.

Being in the hospital sure brought back memories, and also made me realize how hard to believe it is that in no time at all, I'll be back there for the real thing. It's an exciting thought to think that in two months time, I will be meeting Kaitlyn face to face for the first time. I can't wait to meet her!

Anyway - our first week of March was like they say, "in like a lion," and I hope "out like a lamb." I used to think that expression referred only to the weather, but it seems to be true all around.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad everything is ok and that the baby and you are alright. Scary times. Cart pushers should be more careful. Good luck to Ellie on the road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete