Thursday, March 17, 2011

Eczema and Flower Shaped Confetti

Kaitlyn just had a couple of fun experiences at the doctor lately. About a month ago, we noticed that Kaitlyn had a rash developing on her back. I picked apart my brain trying to figure out what I had given that child to eat or what she might have come in contact with to start such a horrible rash! I decided to wait a week, and if it hadn't improved to take her in. The rash came and went, and I was getting more and more frustrated with it! I couldn't get rid of it. Then the opportunity came to take her to the doctor and get it checked out.

When I say the opportunity came, I really mean in the form of an "emergency." Elle had just brought home a poster with a hundred hard flower confetti's on them to celebrate their 100 days of school. Shayne was on the computer and I had just stepped out of the room to start some dinner, and in the time it took for me to go in the kitchen and Shayne to turn around to start his shift babysitting - Kaitlyn had taken one of the hard confetti's off the poster board and had it in her mouth. Before he got the chance to take it out, Kaitlyn had swallowed the little thing.

She was breathing just fine, but was gagging and throwing up. She did this for a while and after a brief phone call with the doctor, they told me to take her to the emergency room. I met my mom at Mountain View Hospital in Payson, but by that time she had stopped her choking and seemed fine for the most part. They wanted to check her out though, just to be sure it hadn't gone into her lungs.

Watching little Kaitlyn get her x ray was so funny. She layed flat without a tear or any kind of coaxing whatsoever. She was the BEST BABY in the ER. Danelle STILL flips out to see the doctor, even if she knows FOR A FACT they will not hurt her. Danelle has been this way almost from birth. Kaitlyn however just sat down, let the doctors examine her and kept the same cute smile on her face. She is so small, we only needed one x-ray to do the job.

Luckily the confetti was on it's way through the bowels and not in her lungs which would have meant instant surgery. We were lucky and happy for this. The doctor took a look at the rash last saying it was just dry skin an to apply moisturizer. I wish he would have been more specific that it is actually eczema and how to treat it, sparing us a trip to her pediatrician only a few days later because it had gotten worse (probably from the perfumed moisturizers I had been rubbing all over her).

Everything is under control now though and her skin is just as pretty as ever. Learning that she has eczema has been a challenge though. I switched her laundry soap, baby wash, and apply Eucerin cream twice a day and hydrocortizone cream for itches when needed. Little Kaitlyn is a lot of work, but such a happy baby and great blessing for our family. We love her so much! She is definitely worth the extra trouble!

1 comment:

  1. Wow I never knew about thd confetti. Glad it all worked out

    ReplyDelete